Welcome to Megala’s Kitchen!
About me & my recipes:
- I am Megala living in Chennai, South India.
- My recipes are influenced by my parents, relatives and friends; my parents & parents-in-law are natives of Tirunelveli. So one could find here authentic vegetarian recipes popular in Tirunelveli and other surrounding regions of Tamilnadu namely sodhi with inji pachadi, kootanchoru, thuvaram paruppu sadam, ulutham paruppu sadam, ulundhang kali, kummiyanam, idi sambar, puli illa curry, kathrika kichadi, etc.
- Although I enjoy trying my hand at various vegetarian recipes around the globe, I derive immense satisfaction while cooking traditional food served to us by my mother & grandmothers. So I landed here to keep an archive of such recipes useful for me and also for the next generation, and obviously all the recipes I posted here are the ones I would love to serve to my family.
- I have been learning to identify nutritious ingredients & healthy cooking practices during my culinary journey, and I am glad to share them here hoping that it would be beneficial to home cooks & novices to a great extent.
- Since I believe that the health of a family lies in its kitchen, it is imperative for all the mothers (or home cooks) to understand what we cook, how we cook, and why we serve a particular dish to our family. So I provide the details of nutrition & health benefits of main ingredients along with recipes.
- My recipes are illustrated with step-by-step photos that can be easily followed by everyone, yet I recommend the visitors to read them for some useful tips.
- All my recipes quantify all the ingredients including salt, oil and water as they are the key ingredients attributing taste and consistency of any food. Please note that I use salt little less than required as I prefer to season food with iodized salt before serving; it aids in better absorption of iodine.
- My recipes are published only in this virtual space and I am not hosting any YouTube channel.
I thank my husband for his support & encouragement and my son, who pursues photography as a hobby, for teaching me photography.
I also thank my mother, an avid-gardener, who produces her own organic vegetables & fruits and inspires me with her vast knowledge in cooking & gardening.
I dedicate this whole space to my late father who always encouraged us to take healthy foods by gifting us books on health & nutrition.
If you find my blog interesting & useful, please subscribe my blog and stay connected for the healthy traditional vegetarian recipes.